POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : water waves simulation (349k) : Re: water waves simulation (349k) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: water waves simulation (349k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Nov 2001 04:21:42
Message: <3BFB7218.72789514@gmx.de>
Jide wrote:

> The animations look really great.

Thanks.

> I tried reading the article (after giving it a go with babelfish first) but
> it's too
> complicated for me. Would you mind sharing the .pov and possibly the .ini ?

The heightfield is not generated with Povray so the POV-code won't help
you much.  If i make a version using an isosurface i will post the code.

> > The main idea is to superpose several sine waves (160 in this case) with
> > different frequencies and directions according to a certain distribution
> > function.
>
> I tried averaging 160 sine_wave gradients then rotating and scaling
> semi-randomly
> but the effect is nothing like with your approach. So how about atleast
> giving the
> rest of us atleast a clue

Simply random waves does not work, you have to use the correct
distribution functions for frequency and direction to get it right.

The formulas are given in:

http://www.first.gmd.de/persons/bwalter/html/report/node6.html
http://www.first.gmd.de/persons/bwalter/html/report/node7.html

Christoph